Jobs @ MG
Survey of Urdu-medium schools
|In your issue of 16-30 June, you published the results of survey of Urdu-medium schools in Delhi by the Friends of Education. The findings of the Survey do not materially differ from those of previous years. The Urdu-medium schools — government or government-aided have shown no improvement. There is also no increasing recurrence on the part of Urdu-speaking parents to send their children to Urdu-medium schools. So what is to be done.
I suggest that Muslim minority schools consider the following ideas:
1. Urdu should be the medium as Mother Tongue at the primary level only. But Hindi should be introduced in Class III and English in Class V.
2. At the middle and high school level, the medium should be Hindi. Urdu must be taught as a compulsory first subject as Mother Tongue as well as Hindi and English as compulsory Second and Third Language.
3. Arabic or Persian or Islamic Studies may be taught, outside the curricular framework as Additional subjects i.e. subjects not for examination.
4. Teachers, whether for Urdu medium at primary stage or for teaching Hindi at the Secondary stage should not be part-time teachers selected by the Urdu Academy or otherwise but whole time, regular fully qualified teachers, properly selected by the Directorate of Education for government and aided schools and by the management of private schools.
5. Teachers, not parents, should be held responsible for poor show by the students. The general impression is that the teachers do not teach; they do even engage classes, Both the government and the management shall apply a clear policy for dealing with delinquent or non performing teachers.
New Delhi q
needs your support