Islam - Challenges in 21st Century
A new book written by Dr. Asghar Ali Engineer
This book contains number of essays written from time to time on various important aspects of Islam. These essays will enhance proper understanding of Islam and Islamic issues. Islam is one of the world religions and every fifth person in the world is a Muslim. Thus it is very important to understand Islam in proper light. Dr.Asghar Ali Engineer is internationally renowned authority on Islam and has the unique distinction of explaining Islamic issues in the light of political, sociological, economic and anthropological perspectives. He believes in socio-theology as every theology is based on given social structures. This concept of socio-theology makes Islam a dynamic religion rather than one stagnating in medieval theology.
The issues dealt with in these essays are very relevant to modern age and also for peace and harmony in the world. Islam, the author argues, is a religion of peace and it is bounden duty of every Muslim to strive for peace. Islam also stresses justice and no permanent peace is possible without justice. The violence one sees in the world is a result of gross injustice perpetrated by dominant powers. Without addressing the question of just grievances problem of peace cannot be tackled. These essays will enable the readers to understand Islam and Islamic issues in fresh light and will remove misunderstanding from the minds of people created by wrong projections of Islamic teachings in the media.
1. Islam and the Challenge of Poverty
2. The Political Universe of Islam
3. The Tragedy of Karbala and its Implications
4. Polygamy in Islam - Concept and Practice
5. Da'wah or Dialogue
6. Islam, Globalisation and Fundamentalism
7. Intellectual Approach to Islam
8. Western Feminism or Rights of Women in Islam
9. Islam and Nationalism
10. Shari'ah Punishments (Hudud Laws) and Nation-States
11. Religion and Economy Justice
12. Islam, Muslims and Non-Muslim Countries
13. Armed Fight is Not Jihad
14. American Aggression Against Iraq - Who is Terrorist?
15. Engages Islam
16. On the Causes of Violence in Early Islamic Society
17. Is Islam Compatible with Democracy and Modernity?
18. Shari'ah Law, Civil Society and Human Rights
19. Religion, Pluralism and Modern Society
20. Muslim World and Role of Intelligentsia
21. Concept of Justice in Qur'an and the Islamic World
22. Contemporary World
Total Pages: 279
Price Rs. 540.
For copies contact: Gyan Publishing House
5, Ansari Road, Darya Ganj, New Delhi:- 110 002.
Tel. 011-23282060, 23261060
to the PRINT edition NOW: Get the COMPLETE picture
pages choke-full of news, views & analysis on the Muslim scene in India & abroad...
Delivered at your doorstep, Twice a month
Indian Muslim Islamic News