Education & careers
Careers in Interior Designing
Milli Gazette Online
If we look at the corridors of any Palace, villa or the marvelous indoors of the best apartments in the city, we wonder how these were designed. Be it - hotels, IT companies, bungalows or corporate offices, all of us have always admired the interior decorations. Many years ago people wanted to build normal house without much care for the furnishings, paint colour, use of artifacts, the wall hangings, the in-house gardens, etc..
Today the culture has almost completely changed. People care more about the design of their doors, the colour of their Walls, the design of their reading room, etc. This need has created substantial number of opportunities for young and dynamic minds to take up a career in Interior designing. The current generation needs to take up these opportunities which have become a need for even a common man.
Role of Interior Designers
An Interior designer/decorator acts mainly as an advisor to his client. The planning for the interior furniture, furnishings, design patterns, colour combinations, etc is an integral part of the job. At certain levels an interior designer takes up exclusive and unique designs of furniture, fittings and artefacts, keeping in mind a client's tastes, personality, lifestyle and his budget. Hence with the demand of customized solutions, unique creations & innovative beauty, an interior designer/decorator has many challenges which when accomplished, leave an everlasting impression.
Most of the courses & professional training in Interior designing is given for 10+2 candidates. Some colleges / universities select students based on their performance in aptitude test. The candidates skills in Mathematics, science, drawing skills, etc. are tested.
There are many Polytechnics & Vocational Colleges all over India offering Professional training in Interior designing & decoration. The duration of the courses ranges from 1 year - 4 years. Most of the Advanced courses are for 5 years after 12th Standard. A few courses are:
1. Diploma in Interior Designing & Architecture - 5 years (10 semesters).
2. Vocational Diplomas in Furniture Design, Exhibition & Windows Display - 1 year.
3. Bachelor in Interior Design & Decoration - 3 years.
4. Computer Aided Interior & Landscape designing - 1year.
5. Apprentice Training in Interior Designing - 1 year.
1. Design of Furniture, fittings & furnishings.
2. Basics of Art, Design, drawing & structures.
3. Study of Construction & Materials
4. Budgeting, Planning & Professional management
5. Computer Aided Designing (CAD)
6. Exhibition designing, window patterns, Painting techniques, etc..
Note: Certain organizations / companies have their own curriculum. The subjects are mostly according to the latest trends in the Industry. The students are primarily trained on how to utilize normal objects & make them extraordinary.
1. National Institute of Design, Paldi, Ahmedabad - 380007.
2. The Institute of Co-operative Vocational Education, Tiruchirapalli, Tamil Nadu.
3. Indian Institute of Design, Ring Road, Rajouri Garden, New Delhi 110027.
4. School of Interior Design, CEPT, University Road, Navrang Pura, Ahmedabad - 380009.
and many more private & Govt. Institutes all over India.
1. Skill of Imagination, Creativity, Innovation & Originality.
2. A good ability to understand client's needs & demands.
3. Ability to visualize & translate them to actual work.
4. Good skills of Communication.
5. Eagerness to learn new trends & face new challenges.
6. Ability to drive a team - skilled & unskilled.
7. Capacity to work for long hours to keep up commitments.
1 year vocational Diploma in Interior designing is offered through correspondence by U.P. Rajarshi Tandon Open University, 17 Maharshi Dayanand Marg, Allahabad - 211001.
In our country there has been a huge increase in the demand for professional designers in all areas of construction - houses, bungalow, malls, apartments, villas, companies, Exhibitions etc.. After successful completion of Professional Training, the candidate can work in / as.
1. Private Business - Setting up one's own consultancy.
2. Openings in Architecture firms.
3. Working with architects during the entry level.
4. Consultant to Multiple construction firms; & many more...
After enough experience & certifications, one can move towards management. This being totally for setting up one's own enterprise in a big way.
(The author is a Career Counsellor, working with M.S.W - Career Guidance & Information,
Any career queries?
Kindly send your career queries to
MSW-Career Guidance and Information Center,
# 214, United School Building, Ilyasnagar, J.P. Nagar Post, Bangalore –
560078 Email: email@example.com ; www.mswt.org
page: ahsan ansari
architects interior designers real estate india
to the PRINT edition NOW: Get the COMPLETE picture
pages choke-full of news, views & analysis on the Muslim scene in India & abroad...
Delivered at your doorstep, Twice a month
Indian Muslim Islamic News