Education & careers
Careers in management - v
Logistics & Supply Chain Management
Most of us nowadays use the Courier service for various reasons. Why? We believe its fast, effective, safe and reaches on time. These are the core concerns for an individual, a company, an organization and a government. All of us have had at least one "bad experience" of our parcel/product not being delivered on time or being lost or damaged. But that is only one in 1000 cases. If not for that, its just an amazing and incredible job which people from the logistics and supply chain management are doing to meet every hour deadlines of supply chain management.
Today International courier agencies like DHL, Blue Dart, etc.., National courier agencies, Transport Companies, Freight Service agencies, Shipping Industry, IT companies and various industries which have huge a business, require trained and qualified professionals to handle their logistics. Lets now look at its logistics and its demand.
What is logistics ?
Its about the actual delivery of goods to the customer in the most reliable transit period (and preferably the shortest) possible. Its also involves the process of reverse flow of information like acknowledged, signed delivery records without which, in many cases, recovery of bills are virtually impossible. Especially so in the case of companies placing multi-location orders that could cover hundreds of cities. The task for the supplier is staggering - plan logistics for deliveries to all these locations, and hope for 100% for delivery records to be turned in, before bills can be submitted to the customer. In most IT companies, the role of 'logistics' or 'fulfillment' is a key issue.
Why is there a demand for logistics and supply chain management?
- Growing demand on " on time" and " effective delivery of product".
- Increasing E-commerce, online shopping, exports and imports along with client demands.
- Confidentiality, a strong security system that can cover country wide and international locations.
- Feedback at every point is mandatory because of the high-risk shipments.
- Increase in e-commerce has reduced the costs
- Increasing operations – national and international have increased profits
- Growth is seen in every quarter because of increase in MNC’s population
- On time and end-to-end service with correct logistical data has become every company’s core policy
- To offer more customer satisfaction more companies have a separate logistics department
- Advancement in logistics management is making this sector the most profitable business
- Logistics have become a part and parcel of every small and big company
What does a course in logistics and supply chain management involve ?
It includes subjects related to handling data of processing/manufacturing with in the organization and up to the customers. It also takes care of different sections of supply chain management like materials purchase, management of transport, warehousing, packaging and materials handling for distribution, order processing, inventory management and certain elements of both purchasing and production. Supply chain consists of various activities that take place between the initial supply of materials to final customers.
Most of the courses are Diploma’s offered for 10+2 / 12th pass students. Individuals who have industry experience in supervision and management can also take up the course. Post Graduate Courses are offered for Graduates. (any stream)
Note : There are many online, correspondence courses both in India and abroad with " hi valued" recognitions. But one has to be very careful before selecting the course/module.
Courses on offer
Certificate, Diploma and PG Diploma courses. A list of a few:
- Certificate course in logistics Management.
- Diploma in Cargo and Courier Management.
- Diploma in logistics Management.
- PG Diploma in logistics and supply chain management
These include both class room and distance education programs.
- National Institute of Export Management, Chennai.
- Indian Institute of Material Management –
- Confederation of Indian Industries Institute of logistics.
- Indian Institute of Management – Indore ( PG Diploma )
- Center for logistics and Integrated Material Systems ( C-LAIMS ), Hyderabad.
Also many international institutes are there which require TOEFL and GRE qualifications
- Skills in manpower handling.
- Ability to work under pressure, handling multiple tasks at a time
- Ability to make easy and effective plans depending upon situations.
- Should take moral responsibility for operations.
After a course in logistics and supply chain management one can find good openings in
- International and National Courier, Cargo and Shipping Companies.
- Transport companies which handle shipments and customer deliveries.
- Government sectors like Railways and Road Transport Departments.
- MNC’ in various sectors which deal with multiple logistics.
- Self enterprise – setting up a firm to cater to local and national demands.
Kindly send your career queries to
MSW-Career Guidance & Information Center,
# 157/A, 4th ‘C’ Cross, Ilyasnagar, J.P. Nagar Post,
Bangalore – 560078
Careers in Management - i
Careers in Management - ii
Careers in Management - iii
Careers in Management - iv
Careers in Management - v
to the PRINT edition NOW: Get the COMPLETE picture
pages choke-full of news, views & analysis on the Muslim scene in India & abroad...
Delivered at your doorstep, Twice a month
Indian Muslim Islamic News