More Muslims acquitted in false terror cases

New Delhi: In the past a large number of Muslim youths falsely arrested on charges of complicity in terrorist activities or association with terrorist organisations or for mere suspicion without any proof were honourably freed or released on bail after several years of incarceration in jails because police could not produce any proof against them. During the last few weeks many more such Muslims falsely implicated but found innocent by courts were released.

It is estimated that on an average 99% of the Muslims falsely arrested by police and security agencies have been found innocent by courts and released permanently or on bail.

The latest in these brutal series is Nasser Husain of Jaunpur who was honourably released by Lucknow’s sessions court on 20 March 2014 in the absence of satisfactory proof. He was illegally arrested about seven years ago on 19 June 2007 from Rishikesh by UP’s Special Task Force on the charges of terrorism and anti-national activities but police showed his arrest from Lucknow’s Chaar Bagh railway station on the charge of possessing RDX and other explosive materials. Briefly speaking, the case against him continued for seven years and he was produced in court innumerable times and finally released honourably on 20 March in the absence of sufficient proof.

Another case is that of 14 persons (all Muslims), some of whom were arrested from Patna and many more from Chhattisgarh including Umar Siddiq, Dawood, Abdul Wahid, etc. They were arrested for the bomb blasts in Patna on 27 October 2013 at a rally to be addressed by Narendra Modi, and were accused of providing logistic support to “Indian Mujahidin” members and for collecting money for SIMI. In this blast at least six pesons had died. After spending many months in jail, they were released on bail on 24 March 2014 by Raipur’s Chief Judicial magistrate Alok Kumar. In fact, a total of 16 persons were released on bail but two, namely Umar Siddiq and Azharuddin, though released, were sent to Patna jail in some other case. They were released on bail because police had failed to file the chargesheet against them within the stipulated 90 days.

Another such case is that of Hafiz Muhammad Nadeem who was arrested by UP police on 15 September 2012 from Civil Lines, Moradabad, on the charge of intention to murder, deliberately harming a place of worship, efforts to create differences and creating bad blood between two communities and some other charges. National Security Act (NSA) was invoked against him. The application for his release on bail at the instructions of Maulana Arshad Madni of Jamiatul Ulama was filed by advocate Zaheer Ahmad Khan in Moradabad’s sessions court but because of NSA, his bail was refused. Thereafter, advocate Nawab Ahmad Khan filed his bail application in Allahabad High Court which granted him bail and soon thereafter he came out of jail though his case was still pending in Moradabad where after advocate Zaheer Khan’s successful pleadings, judge Shiv Shankar Singh in the absence of satisfactory and sufficient proof, acquitted him.

In yet another case, three Muslims, namely Dr Syed Abdul Mobeen, Kaleem Akhtar and the Kashmiri youth Gulzar Ahmad Wani, were released last month (April 2014) by a Lucknow court’s judge Badruddoja Naqvi in a 14-year old case. The judge said in his verdict that these people are being released in the absence of any proof against them. 

This article appeared in The Milli Gazette print issue of 1-15 May 2014 on page no. 1

We hope you liked this report/article. The Milli Gazette is a free and independent readers-supported media organisation. To support it, please contribute generously. Click here or email us at

blog comments powered by Disqus