Community News

95 percent benefits of minorities go to Sikhs and Jains

New Delhi: Maulana Abdul Hameed No’mani, secretary of Jamiatul Ulama-e Hind said, while talking to mediapersons here on 14 April, that Delhi State Minorities Commission and Minorities Financial Development Corporation etc. are simply to befool Muslims because Muslims have not benefited from them in any way. Rather, he said, only people belonging to Sikh and Jain communities are deriving the benefits from all the welfare schemes set up and meant for Muslims.

He said that inclusion of Sikhs and Jains among minorities itself is beyond comprehension, adding that “minorities” can be declared those communities which have their own personal laws but Sikhs and Jains do not have their personal laws. He said that the ministry for minorities affairs was created at the Centre to identify and understand the problems and difficulties of Muslims and for their solution and progress but Muslims are not getting any benefit from this ministry also.

He said that the government had appointed Sachar Committee to assess the situation, problems and difficulties of Muslims but after the submission of its report, the then minister of minorities affairs Abdur Rahman Antulay changed the word ‘Muslim’ to ‘minority’. Today, he said, the position is that 95 percent benefits of the schemes made for the welfare and development of minorities are derived by Sikhs and Jains whereas Muslims are not getting the benefits of even the remaining 5%. He said that if the government wants to take Muslims out of backwardness, it should prepare schemes not in the name of minorities but solely in the name of Muslims.

On the other hand, nationalised banks, which are all government banks, have blacklisted Delhi’s Muslim-populated localities like Jamia Nagar, Jama Masjid, Seelampur, Mustafabad etc. and because of this, Muslims do not get loans from them. He demanded that the Reserve Bank of India should issue strict instructions to all banks in this connection so that Muslims also should derive benefits from banks.
 

This article appeared in The Milli Gazette print issue of 1-15 May 2011 on page no. 19

We hope you liked this report/article. The Milli Gazette is a free and independent readers-supported media organisation. To support it, please contribute generously. Click here or email us at sales@milligazette.com

blog comments powered by Disqus