Why Indian Mujahidin is banned?
The Milli Gazette
Published Online: Oct 01, 2012
Print Issue: 1-15 September 2012
New Delhi: “Indian Mujahidin” (IM) is a fictitious organisation most possibly created by the Indian Intelligence Bureau to justify the repression and terrorisation of the Indian Muslim community in the name of fighting terror. Apart from a few emails sent at the time of some bomb blasts, it has no real or tangible existence outside Intelligence Bureau and Police claims which are lapped by their stenos in the media. India has a free and fearless press but when it comes to the issue of “terrorism” it becomes ultra-nationalist and develops cold feet and starts parroting the secret notes pushed by faceless security agency officials.
List of organisations declared as terrorist organisations under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967
Just as the huge nationwide saffron terror network was slightly exposed by Maharshtra ATS chief Hemant Karkare, the faceless “Indian Mujahidin” appeared on the scene through an email sent by “Guru Al Hindi” to some media organisations on 23 Nov. 2007. It was sent from a cybercafe in Ghaziabad near Delhi. Its Hindu owner, a local Congress leader, went unscathed.
At first, the Union home ministry did not ban it and kept saying as reported by the Kolkata Telegraph weeks before the ban, that it cannot ban something it does not know. Then, suddenly, on 4 June 2010 it together with “all its formations and front organisations” was banned under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act of 1967 as the 35th banned organisation in India and still retains that number on the home ministry website but without any further clarification as to why it was banned and what is the basis of the ban. The claim parroted by the Indian media is that it is a shadow outfit of the banned SIMI and Pakistan-based Lashker-e-Toiba. It is claimed the IM is involved in serial bomb blasts in Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Bangalore and Mumbai. It is claimed that this terror group is at present headed by Iqbal Bhatkal who remains at large.
Coordinator of the Department of State’s Coordinator for Counterterrorism
Dr Zafarul-Islam Khan
Editor, The Milli Gazette
New Delhi, India
22 Sept. 2011
(Receipt of this email was confirmed by the U.S. Department of State vide message at http://contact-us.state.gov/app/ask_confirm/refno/110922-000034 (at 2:52 pm - 22-9-11) but no reply has been received till date [24 August 2012].
Email to the UK Home Department
Ms. Theresa May
Hon’ble Home Secretary, London, U.K.
Email: email@example.com ; firstname.lastname@example.org
Dear Ms. May
You announced in the House of Commons on 5 July this year that the UK government has banned the so-called “Indian Mujahideen” organisation which, according to your reported statements, “had been engaged in indiscriminate mass-casualty attacks in India”. You were further reported to have said that this so-called outfit “uses violence to achieve its stated objectives of establishing an Islamic state in India and implementing Sharia law” (Asian Age, Delhi, 6 July 2012).
Your junior colleague at the Home Office Minister Mr. James Brokenshire reportedly told House of Commons on the same day that the decision was “not taken lightly” but after thoroughly reviewing all the available information about the India-based terror group (Pioneer, Delhi, 6 July 2012).
Thanking you in anticipation,
Dr. Zafarul-Islam Khan
Editor, The Milli Gazette
Email sent on 17 August 2012 via email to both the official and personal email IDs of the British minister but no reply or even acknowledgment received so far.
This article appeared in The Milli Gazette print issue of 1-15 September 2012 on page no. 8blog comments powered by Disqus