Suspect in Varanasi bomb blast released, SIM card buyer absconding

Mumbai: Shoaib Nadeem Siddiqi (32), a resident of Mumbra Kosa (Mumbai) was all of a sudden arrested on 18 December by CISF and ATS officers at Chhatrapati Shivaji Airport as he was preparing to leave for Bahrain alongwith his family where he resides and works. He was arrested on the basis of a phone call to Mumbai police that the man could be a suspect in Varanasi bomb blast of 7 December. On receipt of this information, he was arrested. However, a few days later he was released after being questioned. Subsequently, on being asked by mediapersons he said that he is employed in Bahrain and has been regularly making trips between Bahrain and Mumbai alongwith his family members for many years. After being arrested, he immediately got in touch with his cousin Zubair Rawal who is chairman of Abdullah Patel High School. Rawal then contacted Jitender Auhad, Maharasthra MLA and told him about the arrest of his cousin. Greatly surprised at how innocent Muslims of Mumbra are being unnecessarily harassed and arrested, Auhad in turn contacted Mumbai Police Commissioner Sanjiv Dayal Sharma and ATS Chief Rakesh Maria, both of whom assured him that after questioning Nadeem Siddiqi will be released. Nadeem further told mediapersons that he was asked where he was on 7 December, the day when bomb blast had taken place in Varanasi? After his satisfactory replies, Nadeem was released soon thereafter.

SIM card buyer absconding
Varanasi: The team investigating Varanasi blast is searching the person who had bought a SIM card by producing forged documents from Mau. “Vijay Kumar” had produced a copy of his ration card to buy the SIM card. However, the address shown on the card was found to be false. The police has taken the shopkeeper to different places so as to identify the missing buyer. Police said that only two phone calls were made using that SIM on 6 and 7 December – one prior to the blast and the other next day from Mumbai Central Station and Bhindi Bazar area. After these two calls the SIM seems to have gone silent.

This article appeared in The Milli Gazette print issue of 16-31 January 2011 on page no. 11

We hope you liked this report/article. The Milli Gazette is a free and independent readers-supported media organisation. To support it, please contribute generously. Click here or email us at sales@milligazette.com

blog comments powered by Disqus