Human Rights

Even after acquittal, police harassment of doctor continues

Dr Ibrahim Ali Junaid, 28, is a practicing Unani physician at a private hospital in Hyderabad. He was in the final year of his medical course when the local police picked him up in August 2007 in connection with the Makkah Masjid and other terror blasts in the city. He was subjected to third degree torture for five days and was unsuccessfully forced to admit his ‘role’ in the blasts. At last he was charge-sheeted for “hatching conspiracy for terrorist activities” in the country but in December 2008 the court acquitted him of all charges. Talking to Mumtaz Alam Falahi of, Dr Junaid recalled the days of horror and all:
Arrest, torture: I had gone to Delhi to attend a seminar on 26-27 August 2007. When I returned to Hyderabad I was picked up from a local railway station. They bundled me into a van and kept me in custody for five days. They brutally beat me and tortured me. Then I was presented before a court.
What did they want you to admit?: They wanted that I admit I was involved in Makkah Masjid blast and some other blasts in Hyderabad.
Your activities before arrest?: I was in final year of BUMS course. When the blast took place in Makkah Masjid I had gone there to offer Namaz. The mosque is just opposite of my college. The probe of the blast was given to SIT. They called several Muslim youths and tried to force them to admit their ‘role’ in the blast. I have never been attached to any organization including SIMI. For last some years I have been attached with Civil Liberties Monitoring Committee. With a delegation of the group I had approached Human Rights Commission to file a petition in the fake encounter case of Sohrabuddin Sheikh. When the police were torturing me in their custody they would repeatedly refer to it and say: will you go to complain in Sohrabuddin case? In that case Hyderabad police was also involved.
What was in the charge sheet?: They alleged that we were sitting in a graveyard and hatching conspiracy against the country. We had CDs of Babri demolition and Gujarat riot.
Acquittal: But court acquitted me of all charges in December 2008 as the police did not prove any charge.
Post-acquittal harassment: Even after acquittal, the police continued to knock at my door and question me on one point or other. During 2009 elections police asked me to sign a bond for three years to regularly report at the police station and sign. I approached Election Commissioner and only after that they stopped. I work at a private hospital in the city. The police visit the hospital and enquire about me. I am worried about my job. To complain against this post-acquittal harassment I have approached the state Human Rights Commission.

This article appeared in The Milli Gazette print issue of 16-30 April 2010 on page no. 11

We hope you liked this report/article. The Milli Gazette is a free and independent readers-supported media organisation. To support it, please contribute generously. Click here or email us at

blog comments powered by Disqus