Buttermilk scones - Recipe
3 1/2 cups self-raising flour
2 tablespoons caster sugar
60g butter, chopped
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
Jam and whipped cream, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan-forced. Grease and flour a 8cm-deep, 19cm (base) square cake pan.
2. Place flour, sugar and a pinch of salt in a large bowl. Add butter. Using fingertips, rub butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
3. Make a well in the centre. Add buttermilk. Using a flat-bladed knife, stir until dough almost comes together. Place on a lightly floured surface.
4. Knead gently until dough comes together. Press out to a 3cm-thick round. Dip a 5cm square/round cutter into flour to prevent dough sticking. Cut out scones. Gently press leftover dough pieces together and repeat to make a total of around 15-16 scones.
5. Place scones, touching, in prepared pan. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until light golden and hollow when tapped on top. Serve with jam and cream.