(as published in 1-15 October 2010 issue)
- MUHAMMAD ANWAR SIDDIQI has been appointed Additional Judge of Madhya Pradesh High Court by the President of India. In addition to him, Mrs VIMLA JAIN has also been appointed Additional Judge of MP High Court by the President. The appointments of both these judges have been made on the basis of their seniority and will be for a period of two years from the date they assume their charge.
- RISHAD PREMJI (34), eldest son of Wipro’s chief Azim Premji and the existing general manager of Wipro’s treasury and investor relations, has been appointed Chief Strategy Officer for IT services of this organisation. Though he will take over the new post after 3 months i.e. on 1 January 2011, it is being seen by many as the stepping stone for the top post in Wipro. A graduate from USA’s Wesleyan University and a management degree holder from Harvard Business School, he had joined Wipro in 2007 as Assistant General Manager in the organisation’s Banking, Financial Services and Insurance Division of the country’s third largest technology firm.
- Prof KHALID MAHMOOD, a noted Urdu poet and President of Jamia Millia Islamia’s Department of Urdu has been unanimously elected and appointed Managing Director of Maktaba Jamia Ltd in the meeting of its Board of Directors. He has formally taken over the charge of his new assignment.
- Kunwar AASIM KHAN has been appointed national president of Lok Janshakti Party’s (LJP)’s minority cell by LJP’s President Ram Vilas Paswan in view of the forthcoming Bihar assembly elections. Aasim Khan earlier was president of LJP’s All India Students Wing for three years.
- Dr SHAKIR JAMEEL, former interim Vice-Chancellor of Jamia Hamdard University, has been appointed Director General of Central Council for Research in Unani Medicine (CCRUM). He earlier held many important posts in Jamia Hamdard. He took over the charge of DG of CCRUM on 10 September. He is known as a very dynamic and clean personality.
- Dr ASLAM JAMSHEDPURI, Head of Department of Urdu in Chaudhary Charan Singh University, Meerut has been appointed Assistant Proctor in this University by Vice-Chancellor Prof SK Kak. Dr Aslam is also the Chief Coordinator of Cultural Council and Member of University’s Academic Council. Earlier he was Director of the Institute of Journalism and Mass Communication.
- Prof ABDUR RAHEEM, Prof SHAMIM AHMAD, Prof MUHAMMAD ZAHID and Prof IRSHAD AHMAD KHAN have been appointed Presidents of AMU’s Department of Political Science, Department of Agricultural Economics & Business Management, Department of Urdu and Department of Statistics and Operation Research respectively by the University’s Vice-Chancellor for a period of 3 years each.
- Maulana ABU BAKR NIZAMI, PRO of Kerala’s famous academic and religious university Jamia Markaz Al-Saqafat Alsunniyatul Islam was conferred PhD Degree by the University of Calicut. He wrote his treatise on Imam Sa’duddin Taftazani and his philosophy, in Arabic. Earlier, 30-year old Maulana Abu Bakr did advanced Arabic course and Urdu from Jamia Nizamia of Hyderabad
- SHAHNAWAZ CHAUDHARY, national general secretary of NSUI has been appointed All India Secretary of Indian Youth Congress (IYC) by All India Congress Committee’s General Secretary Rahul Gandhi. He belongs to Gujjar community and hails from a far flung village of Poonch district of Kashmir. He is the youngest secretary of IYC.
- Prof TAHIR MAHMOOD, noted legal expert, has been selected for this year’s International American Award in recognition of his distinguished services in the field of religious freedom. The Award, instituted in 2003 in pursuance of International Religious Freedom Act passed by American Congress in 1998, has always been awarded to distinguished law experts of USA. Prof Tahir Mahmood is the first non-American to have been selected for this Award.
ZAFAR IMAM ANSARI has been unanimously elected President of Momin Conference of Bihar at the meeting of the organisation held in Patna on 4 September.